Re: Fw: putting reader text in hidden <div> tags / adding pauses

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 08:03:00 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> In fairness to the designers, while display: none; is more
> appropriate (and indeed easier to code) with a browser behaving to
> spec Netscape 4 didn't allow the display attribute to be changed,

I think that was what I was referring to in the qualification to the
comment, but I was going further and saying that because most designers:

- don't understand CSS, DOM or HTML and simply use a cook book approach;
- the current hack with moving layers produces the desired *visual*
  effect,

it is not going to practical to get most designers to move away from
the hack, long after NS4 is less used than Amaya (or the other minority
browsers that designers ignore).