FW: aligning figures in a data table

-----Original Message-----
From: Scarlett Julian (ED) [mailto:Julian.Scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 1:33 PM
To: 'w3c-wai-ig@w3c.org'
Subject: aligning figures in a data table

>I've never understood the obsession with centring text on web pages, but
>columns of figure should never be centred; they should be decimal
>point aligned, which, without style sheets, probably means right
>aligned.

If my figures have differing numbers of decimal points e.g 35.67% and
99.99999% then aligning right will not produce the desired result. I have
tried <td align="char" char="."> but this doesn't seem to work (IE 5.5). All
references that I can find quote this usage as correct. Has anybody any
ideas?

thanks
Julian

Julian Scarlett
Web Design & Document Management System Officer
PPU
Education Directorate
Sheffield City Council
0114 2735721
mob 07904914976
julian.scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software
as soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility
for the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted
over a public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been
intercepted or amended please tell us as soon as possible.