RE: Language -- am I being too vigillant?

From: Terry Brainerd Chadwick <tbchad@tbchad.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 20:30:57 -0800
To: Rebecca Cox <rebecca@cwa.co.nz>, Terry Brainerd Chadwick <tbchad@tbchad.com>, "WAI-ig" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 05:14 PM 11/9/2001 +1300, Rebecca Cox wrote:
>One technique I've heard about, to allow users to enter "poitically
>incorrect" terms in a search, and find the resources which are about what
>they have asked for,  involves somehow associating a list of the common
>terms people might try to use, with the target resource records, in the
>database behind a search engine. - where a website has a search engine
>running off its own database.  I'm sure that many of you will be familiar
>with this.
>Another technique might be to add all common terms used in the metadata,
>fo search engines which use it.
>Both of these would keep the "unwanted" terms out of the actual content,
>but still allow users to use them.

Precisely.  Use synonyms -- the good old "see" or "see also" in ancient
library catalogs.  However, web designers and content developers -- who
usually have no experience in indexing, thesaurus building or metadata --
don't even think to use synonyms to make it easy for people to find
information on their websites.

Terry Brainerd Chadwick
InfoQuest! Information Services
2324 NW Johnson, Ste.4
Portland, OR 97210-5221
Voice: 503-228-4023    Fax:  503-220-1934
Email: tbchad@tbchad.com    URL:  http://www.tbchad.com