Re: I think this is the kind of bad site someone was looking for:

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 07:28:08 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> FOr instance in the browser I was using (IE6) it automaticly detected that
> the language used was Thai and displayed correctly. Of course I can select

It will be doing this by heuristics, though, not from any explicit
information.  It may be using statistics on byte frequency and sequences,
or the presence of particular font names.  The automatic detection has,
I think, been provided to deal with the many pages with incorrectly
defaulted (and possibly incorrectly explicitly specified - an awful lot
of pages are explicitly windows-1252 because this is blindly added by
MS authoring tools) character sets.