RE: I think this is the kind of bad site someone was looking for:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, Harry Woodrow wrote:

> yes, if language support is not provided foreign fonts...such as japanese
> chinese hindi thai show as two english characters.  Thai has twice the
> number of letters that english does.

that is because the more complex kana require more information thus these
operating systems are "double byte" as opposed to our single byte
system.  there are interperter programs but they take up room on a persons
hard drive so they are frequently added as needed.

Bob