Re: lights are on, no one's in.

At 11:14 PM 11/6/2001 , Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
>One can check if the user agent supports a given snippet.
>However is there anyway to check if the user has access to a given i/o
>device?

Nope.  This is why I have been hoping for years that the CC/PP work
will be completed and widely deployed.

CC/PP stands for Composite Capabilities/Preference Profiles, and allows
for abstracting of the user environment (in XML/RDF) and transmission
of that profile to the server (as well as modifications by proxies
along the network path).  It's a W3C standard-under-development.

In 1999 I wrote a brief article about it, which can be found at
http://www.ccpp.org/

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>