RE: Disability statistics

Sorry to weigh in so late, but...

The point of disability statistics is to be able to have
something to say to people who care about market size.  If
we have nothing, then it looks to them as if we don't care
about the same things they do.  Frankly, aren't you more impressed
if someone not in the accessibility area is able to make a
useful remark about accessibility?  Same thing.  Making organizations
move on accessibility takes multiple messages to multiple internal
constituencies.  Without an internal consensus, large organizations
don't allow us access to their resources and decision processes.

Also, how about honesty as a motivation to talk about numbers?  For
some access changes there is true market justification and for some
there isn't.  When we cover up this fact we look like religious
missionaries at the door, not the plumber.  We want to be the plumber.
Actually, now that I think of that analogy, it's quite apt.  Let's say
that the numbers show that only 1% of users would benefit from a
particular accessibility fix.  Fine.  Wouldn't you fix a leak that
accounts for 1% of your water usage -- about 2 gallons a week (source:
American Water Works Association)?

Jim

Jim Tobias, President
Inclusive Technologies