Re: Disability statistics

At 11:15 AM 11/4/2001 , David Woolley wrote:
> > All the benefits, all the stats, all the "good arguments" basically
> > boil down to whether or not people will do the right thing, making a
> > specific ethical choice to consider people with disabilities as being
>It's not really people but organisations.  Organisations tend to be
>much less ethical than their employees; it's often said that business
>is amoral.

Ah, but organizations are composed of employees, who are people.
And those people are the ones making a decision.  Because business
is amoral -- not immoral -- it is not concerned with the ethics
per se, but neither does it actively seek to thwart employees from
making decisions based on those ethics.

So the businesses, as entities, don't care about the ethics, but the
people within them do, and they use the justifications we're talking
about ("business case", statistics, etc) to justify the company's
following their ethical decision.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>