Re: Disability statistics

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 08:30:24 -0800
To: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 04:34 AM 11/3/2001 , Joe Clark wrote:
>I was reading the remarks about making a business case for accessibility, which I believe flatly cannot be done. It's purely an issue of ethics or legal compliance.

I think you're right; business cases tend to be very weak and actually
avoid the issues of people with disabilities ("cell phones!" "search
engines!") because when you're a minority group, especially one with
limited means AND obstacles to use, statistics are generally speaking
not your friend.

I've heard statistics used as "oh, huh! I never knew that" supporting
evidence, but I've never seen a web developer or policymaker make a
change just because the numbers are there.  At best, disability
stats are numeric trivia.

Frankly, I think the argument, "we may end up disabled ourselves and
be unable to use the Internet we're building" has proven more
compelling than any sort numbers we can report.

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison
Reef North America