Re: Tech, Condem, and Inform (Was: Re: OT (slightly): Salt Lake '02 Web master: Inaccessible site)

From: Leslie K. Yoder <lkyoder@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 20:58:51 -0800
To: w3cwai-ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, tina@elfi.org
A late reply . . .

>   A good teacher, as you know, don't tell pupils what they want to hear,
>   but what they need to hear.

This is true.  We also need to meet them at their point of need.  What can
they relate to?  What will they listen to?  It's not until we answer these
questions (what they WILL hear) that we can tell them "what they NEED to
hear."

> We cannot teach or inform without knowing
>   both what is done, and how those that do it think.

Exactly.  Let's do this fairly though.  Dismissing the "others" as ignorant
or greedy or mean-spirited does nothing beyond making us feel better.
Changing the views of those who don't "get it" is as much a rhetorical task
as a political one. . . .

Leslie