RE: Disability statistics

Joe

There is no question that we need better data about the usage of computers and
the Internet by people with disabilities. However, any study of this kind is
problematic because of the number of people who choose not to identify
themselves as "disabled".
Within the University that I work, there is provision for students to record on
their enrolment form whether they have a disability. Students with disabilities
are also encouraged to register with our disability counselling service to
ensure they have access to a range of supports (including adaptive hardware and
software) that may be required by them to complete their studies. However many
students elect not to disclose this information. That is their right and we
respect their position on this.

Denise

Dr Denise L Wood
Lecturer: Professional Development (online teaching and learning)
University of South Australia
CE Campus, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
Ph:    (61 8) 8302 2172 / (61 8) 8302 4472 (Tuesdays & Thursdays)
Fax:  (61 8) 8302 2363 / (61 8) 8302 4390
Mob: (0413 648 260)

Email:	Denise.Wood@unisa.edu.au
WWW:	http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/staff/homepage.asp?Name=Denise.Wood