Re: ASCII Ribbon Campaign

 "Access Systems"
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Jim Ley wrote:

> > > well it's a part of the ASCII signature
> >
> it's not proportionally spaced

So it's ASCII art which relies on a particular font on a particular
system?  so in other words it works for no-one.

> > You need to stop adding it to mailing lists, or make it make sense
when

> it is auto added
> ??? talk to the boss

You're in a position to do that, if you want, I can forward every message
to him saying I'm not the named person etc. etc., but that would probably
make you look foolish...

> > Then in mailing lists etc. keep it short, is it necessary at all -
what

> it is neccessary, or at least until Netiquette is taught to all these
> newbies, I have had the system crashed by some of the "C**P" that is
> attached to files, I'm sure you run into it too, so how else do you
tell
> em NO PDF,' NO ATTACHMENTS, NO MSWORD FILES,... etc,  not that anyone
> listens anyway

If I wished to stop it, I would use my mailserver to either strip
attachments with a message returned explaining this, and pointing perhaps
to an appropriate method (my ftp site maybe.) or if I didn't have control
of my mail server, I'd do it locally with procmail or similar depending
on your platform (I'm assuming PINE means you have procmail available for
your platform.)  I know of a number of corporate mail firewalls that do
the same and it's obviously common enough not to be a problem to most.

> > does it add to the discussion? is it just a distraction that makes
your
> > content less accessible?
>
> it hopefully adds or rather eliminates some of the "stuff" in replies

So nothing in respect to the discussion on a public mailing list where
attachments are rare, and the posters are generally not "all these
newbies" who you are targetting at.

Jim.