Re: ASCII Ribbon Campaign

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Kelly Ford wrote:

> You could:
>
> 1. Eliminate the ASCII in your signature.

well it's a part of the ASCII signature

> 2. Give some textual indication of the fact that ASCII art was to follow
> and what it was intended to depict.  Optionally the number of lines,
> although this is hard to indicate accurately.

this presents a problem in that I am already getting complaints about the
size of the signature block, wasn't too bad before the company started the
legal disclaimer stuff, which they want last.

> 3. Ensure that the ASCII art was always the final item in your message.

gets back to the boss wanting the legal part last?!

> I say this not to start a debate but at least for me the fact that I've had

no important debate, question is how to solve it (for me would be the same
as for everyone else)

> to repeatedly hear all the gibberish (ASCII art) in your messages makes it
> that much more likely that I just delete them without reading.  My point is

well there really shouldn't be anything important after the ASCII stuff
generally in my mail there is nothing important after my name

> that if you make the user experience tedious, whether that's your intent or
> not, the user may just walk away.

yeah, I know I do, especially at poorly designed web sites that make me
constantly go to the next page to get to the text stuff

> Now I'm sure others could say the same about my comments and again my
> intent is not to start a debate.

well not to start a debate, but how to have your ASCII and eat it to!

Bob