Re: Style Sheets and Level 2 Conformance

On Wed, 2001-10-31 at 21:01, james.homme@highmark.com wrote:
>Does anyone know of some sample site or sites where no tables are used to
>lay out the pages so that it or they are in conformance with W3C Level AA
>that works in the major browsers?

While it doesn't actually conform[0], I[1] did my level best to make
<http://validator.w3.org/> be aesthetically pleasing, fully Valid XHTML,
and render acceptably on all major browsers. This includes intentionally
triggering a Netscape 4.x bug which will withhold the CSS from that
series of browsers as that is far more aesthetically pleasing then the
alternative (and I like to think it doesn't look too shabby even without
the CSS ;D).

It still requires much work to be actually Accessible -- or so I'm told,
I'm not in possession of the requisite skills to accurately judge[2] --
but it might be a useful starting point nonetheless. Someone with better
graphics or typographic skills should also be able to improve those
areas immensely.

Feel free to grab anything you like from there (source is in CVS and
available under the standard W3C Software License) to use as a starting
point. Don't just use it as is if what you're after is an example; it's
not good enough, or bad enough, depending on what you intend the example
to achieve. :-)

[0] - I think "someone" mentioned skeletons and closets recently. :-)

[1] - That's to say "I" as in "I'm the one to blame for the problems".
      I had plenty of help from Smart People with the improvements!

[2] - Anyone wanting to volunteer their expertise in this area will
      be welcomed with open arms[3]. Be warned though that progress
      will be non-existent or painfully slow until the software that
      generates that HTML is fixed to the point where it no longer
      requires the services of a professionally masochistic
      contortionist to make the smallest change to the output.

[3] - See <http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html>, join the