From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Kynn Bartlett
Sent: 31 October 2001 18:52
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Inaccessible Web Site: WAI Homepage

By the way, if we really ARE going to start down the road
of "someone proposes a web site, and we all discuss the
inaccessibility of it", can we start with the Web Accessibility
Initiative homepage at http://www.w3.org/WAI/?  I and others
have mentioned multiple times the fact that this web site is
completely unillustrated, and in fact, in my seminars I use
WAI homepage as an example of an inaccessible page.

(I also use WCAG as an example of failure to use "clear and
simple language.")

WAI staff have repeatedly refused to even put a picture of a
disabled person on the WAI site -- so my question to the rest of
you who advocate public activism on this issue would be, "What
do I do next?"  Should I be writing letters to Slashdot or
Wired or CNN or the New York Times decrying their hypocrisy and
refusal to meet my demands?

I'm not just making a rhetorical point here -- I really do think
there is a huge accessibility problem on the WAI site.  I'd just
like to find out how you think this should be handled.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                http://kynn.com/
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain Internet   http://idyllmtn.com/