RE: Tech, Condem, and Inform (Was: Re: OT (slightly): Salt Lake '02 Web master: Inaccessible site)

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> I cloud issues and muddy up the water just to get reactions, but this is
> real muddy even by my standards.

no the same things that solve many problems for PWD also allows basic
access to everyone.

Bob

> "also one of my pet peeves is that many many of these people are ignoring
> the "World Wide" part of the web.  many places in the world especially the
> third world keeping an 8086 running and getting service via a 1200baud
> dial up modem IS INDEED state of the art.  I work with some disabled folks
> in Central America.  the independent living center was just able to
> "upgrade" to an "Apple II" computer system and I think they are getting an
> original MAC if things work out.  I tried giving them my old 486 but they
> weren't able to use it because it exceeded the ability of the rest of
> their systems to handle.  power systems in the country are not stable nor
> are the phone lines even digital. many are still analog and use operators
> to complete calls"
>
> What we have here whilst a valid point, is another issue namely 'digital
> divide' It is impossible to make the internet accessible to all. However
> some of your points could raise bandwidth issues.
>
> I have complained in the past that www stretches from east to west coasts'
> plus that other bit called Acidrainia formerly known as the world. I do not
> feel that is the case today. I think everyone is very aware www is world
> wide, besides if any one individual dominates his name is Anarchy, he rules
> the web, always has, always will. There are too many individuals for any one
> identity to dominate the internet, but lets face it MS does have most of the
> operating systems out there, I can see that just by looking at my site
> stats. Oh anyone tried opera recently?
>
> I feel numbers rule on this point, 100% of the internet is inaccessible to
> my mum, but then she thinks I sit all day at a microwave . Do I then design
> with her in mind? How do you design for deaf and blind people? There are
> more of those than doctors half way up mountains. Braille monitors??? now
> there is an idea.
>
> Do not get me wrong here, I am very, very positive on accessibility. The
> issue is to get the message across to people, especially to those who should
> know better.
>
> so sayth Pooh, off for me jar of hunny.
>
> by the way just stopped the spell checker altering the subject!!!!!!!

   /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign       accessBob                       .-.
   \ /   NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail   accessys@smartnospam.net        /v\
    X    NO MSWord docs in e-mail    Access Systems, engineers      // \\
   / \   NO attachments in e-mail    equal access is a civil right /( _ )\
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privleged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks