MSN, browsers, Web Standards Project

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:09:15 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@W3.org
>The Web Standards Project (www.webstandards.org) has this campaign
>to put something on your web site telling people using "broken
>browsers" to upgrade to something more standards-compliant.

*and then present all your content anyway*. MSN and Salt Lake
Olympics *refuse* to show you content if you use unapproved browsers.
Using an @import command in your stylesheet, you can even hide the
advice to choose a better browser from those selfsame browsers.

>Should someone using a "broken" assistive technology program which
>doesn't follow the standards closely enough be denied access?

You can't do a browser sniff for a screen reader. One only has a
problem (on Windows, at least) if your screen reader sits on top of
Netscape 4. But I don't see why disabled Netscape 4 users should be
given any kind of preferential treatment over nondisabled; the
browser remains just as broken.
--
         Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org | <http://joeclark.org/access/>
         Accessibility articles, resources, and critiques ||