"directly accessible" is ?

From: Rebecca Cox <rebecca@cwa.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:03:31 +1300
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I need to clarify what the exact meaning is for checkpoint 8.1 "Make
programmatic elements such as scripts and applets directly accessible
or compatible with assistive technologies [Priority 1 if
functionality is important and not presented elsewhere, otherwise
Priority 2.]"

For example, if I have a drop-down menu used for navigation, where
javascript makes this work, it needs to be able to be used via
keyboard only - or the same links must be elsewhere on the page, in a
keyboard-useable manner. Am I on the right track here?

(I've found an example that is keyboard- accessible - at
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/index.html )

Rebecca Cox
Web Developer
rebecca@cwa.co.nz