Conformance confusion

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:36:32 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@W3.org
I will readily admit that I do not particularly understand the entire
issues of conformance and testing. I am aware that the issues are
confusing because they are still up in the air, but I am having
trouble getting the basic concept.

Could someone maybe write a FAQ or a very-plain-English explanation
of issues so that those of us not quite so intricately involved with
hardcore W3C documentation and techniques can understand it?
--
         Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org | <http://joeclark.org/access/>
         Accessibility articles, resources, and critiques ||