Re: PDFs

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, David Poehlman wrote:

> it actually has less functionality in at least one respect than its
> predecessor and that is that you cannot export documents from it into
> html or text.  AS for upgrading, many do not have a choice.  It is
> easier than ever before to produce accessible documents that are not
> proprietary.

I know the "Don't have a choice" issue for a number of reasons.

ALSO I haven't been able to get the text output to work via the Linux OS.
but that could be me.
HOWEVER to get adobe to work in my firewalled enviorenment it has to be
downloaded, internally ported to another machine, then run through an
interperter (adobe) and it leaves me with no way to respond.

See we do a lot of work in third world countries.. sometimes getting a
2400baud connection is difficult.  so what ever comes in has to be a
clean/tidy/robust system... windoz does not meet any of those criteria.

I think a lot of us keep thinking everyone has a new Pentium processor
running the latest software....one of my contacts at an independent living
center in Nicaragua has an old 286 as their newest machine..this is a
"WORLD" wide web and we are cutting off a lot of the world with all this
fancy stuff.

And when it comes to accessibility the third world needs it far more
desperately than we do in the "have" part of the world.  upgrade happens
when someone sends em a new (used) computer that actually works.  sure a
lot of software is free, but it isn't if you don't have the memory to
operate the free software...the new Windoz requires more memory to load in
RAM as some of these folks have on thier hard drive.

this is setting a minimum standard for access FOR THE WORLD not just North
America and the EU.  if it will work in PINE (e-mail) or LYNX
(browser) you can be pretty sure everyone can read it.

getting down off my soapbox

Bob

   /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign       accessBob                       .-.
   \ /   NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail   accessys@smartnospam.net        /v\
    X    NO MSWord docs in e-mail    Access Systems, engineers      // \\
   / \   NO attachments in e-mail    equal access is a civil right /( _ )\
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privleged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks