PDFs

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@contenu.nu>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:52:37 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@W3.org, poehlman1@home.com
>the question still remains because PDF is not considered to be
>accessible for the majority of individuals who use voice output.

They'll have to upgrade. Time marches on, you know.

>the only accessibility it affords in its latest incarnation is that
>which is derived from using windows 95 or higher with the latest
>screen access tools.

Actually, Acrobat 5 or later used with any screen reader that can
manipulate Acrobat 5 will do an OK job muddling through even old
PDFs. Tagged PDFs, which are still very difficult to make, will read
out best of all, but a linear document like the Nielsen Norman report
will probably read adequately well. Tables and illustrations will
remain a problem, but the prose will be mostly accessible. None of
this was ever true with Acrobat 4 and earlier; version 5 adds
significant new logic to make educated guesses even with untagged
PDFs.
--
         Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org | <http://joeclark.org/access/>
         Accessibility articles, resources, and critiques ||