From: Scarlett Julian (ED) [mailto:Julian.Scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, 23 October 2001 1:02 AM
To: 'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'
Subject: re: MS Office and Accessibility

Firstly, apologies for the "Hi all" greeting and the corporate disclaimer
that my employer tags onto the end of all my emails for me. I have no choice
but to post to public lists from work so you'll have to just pretend you
didn't see it ;-)

Secondly, my badly phrased original post has thrown up some interesting
answers. I accept the points about access of proprietary file formats
causing problems but what I was really after was whether or not the presence
of a .doc or .xls or .ppt file opening within a browser ( I chose IE because
I don't think NS automatically tries to open them) would cause problems for
screen readers. Sorry, I should have been more specific in my original
query.

The users for this portion of the site are schools that all have a common
desktop installation (MS Office 97, NT4, IE5+) and hence the specificity of
my question. Ideally I would get all infomation presented in html but to do
this I have to get the info owners in our organisation to agree. They are
under the illusion that because their client group all have Office that it
is ok to serve up Office files rather than html pages. I need a solid
argument why they can't do this .

Julian Scarlett
Web Design & Document Management System Officer
PPU
Education Directorate
Sheffield City Council
0114 2735721
mob 07904914976
julian.scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk

The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be
disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee.  If you are not the
addressee, please tell us by using the reply facility in your email software as
soon as possible. Sheffield City Council cannot accept any responsibility for
the accuracy or completeness of this message as it has been transmitted over a
public network.  If you suspect that the message may have been intercepted or
amended please tell us as soon as possible.