Re: MS Office and accessibility

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:43:41 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
"Access should not be browser dependent" is not the same as "accessibility
for persons who have disabilities"!

Whether I have a disability or not, if I don't have the proprietary
software to access some IE or MS Office content, I can't access it.  If I
do have a disability and I do have the proprietary software, and the
software is accessible and the content is accessible, then I can access it.

Why confuse the accessibility access issue with proprietary access issues.

Access and accessibility are not the same thing.

It's like saying I can't access the internet [HTML] without a browser -
duh!  Or worse, saying I can't access electronic text files with out a
screen reader - double duh!

Regards,
Phill