Re: MS Office and accessibility

From: Jim Ley <jim@e-media.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:32:50 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Kelly Ford:
> I will tell you that for most screen readers when Excel and Word files
are
> opened inside of IE, they are difficult to read.  This is because the
> technologies that the different screen readers have for accessing the
> stand alone versions of the software do not get loaded inside of IE.
The
> screen reading user can download the files but it takes more action and
> knowledge of what's going on.

This opening within IE, is purely a configuration issue, if a person
can't access embedded office documents, I don't think it's unreasonable
to expect them to have it configured to do this. (not that I think
serving Word documents is sensible in the first place.)

Explorer - Folder Options - File Types - "Microsoft Word Document" -
untick browse in same window.

(for each type of office document.)

Jim.