RE: Inclusion or accessibility

It is certainly not the case that "any multimedia will do". The use of
different types of media must be governed by both the purpose of the
application (or site) and the target population. What some individuals find
stimulating or an aid to comprehension others find a distraction or confusing.
I guess the critical consideration in trying to design a web site that is
"universally accessible" is to make the site as flexible as possible to cater
for different needs. We already recognise the importance of providing text
alternatives to multimedia components and indeed the option to view a site as
text only. So the same principle must apply to the use of individual media
components - ie not just have a text or graphics option but enable users to
selective deactivate certain media and retain only those features that they
find assists their comprehension or ability to navigate the site.

Simon, if you feel that the existing W3C guidelines fail to adequately take
into account the needs of the specific groups of teens you are working with
there may be a need for someone like yourself to contribute your knowledge and
experience to W3C. A good starting point would be to document why you feel the
posts here are wide of the mark. If that is the case everyone who contributes
to this list needs to be aware of the concerns. Another useful approach would
be for you to identify what it is about the couple of sites that you consider
are truly inclusive and post that to the list along with the URLs.

Denise