Re: Inclusion or accessibility

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 20:48:18 -0400, you wrote:

>I think you're contributions along with jonethon and anne's would be
>most welcome.

Thanks.

One of the sites I've hurriedly developed with a concentration on
inclusion is my school's homepage. Much of the content is proprietary
and under Win/IE at least there are a number of accessibility issues
resulting from the use of MSAgent/VBScript, frames and browser
controls. I am in the process of building in a validated route for
parents and teachers with access needs, but where the kids (with
SLD/PMLD and Autism) are concerned, its the Flash, Agents and such
which hold the interest and provide interactive capabilities, very
useful features like free TTS across the site and also a flavour of
future interfaces and voice command/control. Some real annoyances in
evidence for many standard users are extremely useful where the pupils
are accessing from a standard machine... disabling right-click,
full-screen browser and auto-forwarding and being good examples of
taboos which simplify and facilitate in the case of our users.

Definitely not an example of accessibility in the current sense, but
equally its the only site I know of which all my pupils can access via
a standard browser and access hardware (touchscreen, key sending
switches and various pointing devices).

I know why the main site is fundamentally inaccessible and don't
expect high marks for the code quality (no lectures required <G>).
I've checked the site on Opera/NS+6/IE and Lynx but little else as
yet...if there's any constructive advice I'd welcome it, but really
I'd like to see degradable alternatives to the proprietary content,
which are realistically achievable by average developers...in
particular cross platform agent interfaces and free TTS solutions.

http://www.sldonline.org/Kingsbury/

Regards,
Simon