Re: links to external conten t- maintaining navigation

From: Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:33:13 -0700
To: mpodd@iqnetcom.com, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 12:11 PM 10/16/01, Michelle Podd wrote:
>I don't use frames normally, I understand and agree with all the reasons why
>you shouldn't frame someone elses site. But as a portal, users would come to
>us because of our collection of links to other sites. We expect that they
>would spend some time browsing an external site, then want to come back to
>our site for more links. The back button becomes impractical after so many
>links are followed.

& previously you said:
"I know that having external pages load in a new window is out of the
question and I know that frames are to be used sparingly, if at all."

Actually, I think launching external pages in a new window is a good
option, as long as you tell people you're doing it. Something like "Links
in the following list will launch in a new window." Or, (less good, I
suppose): "Links marked with a * will open a new browsing window."
Instructions on closing the popup window to continue browsing would be
good, but hard to cover every possible browser. Unless you add a Navigation
Help section in a FAQ & refer new users to it.

... Unless I'm missing something? ... I guess the "new window" concept is a
problem in Lynx (although choosing between the AccessDome frame & external
frame isn't so bad, again, as long as you warn people or explain a bit
about what to expect.)

Patrick