[w3c-wai-ig] <none>

4@[10.0.1.2]>
Subject: Re: Navigation to Alternate HTML for Screen Readers
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 13:32:18 -0000

> At 6:09 PM -0400 2001/10/06, David Poehlman wrote:
>
> It's not always desirable to make the user interface for a non-
> visual user a derivative of the user interface for a visual user,
> in the same way that it's not desirable to base the "user interface"
> for a movie on that of a book.

HTML, has no presentational information, it has structural information, I
think if you're going to make these claims that different groups require
different structural representations, then you need to start backing it
up with examples, in my mind content has a structure, and it is only the
representation of that structure which need change.

The user interface for the non-visual user cannot be a derivative of the
visual user, as HTML4.01 has no visual representation, therefore it is
only a derivative of the HTML4.01 representation.

> Unfortunately, we live in a world in which people with disabilities
> are repeatedly told they must "settle" -- and so we get very good
> people who I like, such as David Poehlman, not realizing that there's
> anything more available to him.  There is more to the world, Dave,
> than just one-size-fits-all web sites -- there's a whole new set
> of opportunities I want to show you and everyone else where usability
> is not just a perk for the sighted.

Examples, Techniques etc.  The other problem I have, is that most
developers, do not have the background, experience, or knowledge to
create a tailored version for screenreaders (for example.)  and to
advocate the technique in the guidelines would require a huge amount of
techniques and examples.  I've yet to see any provided, let alone enough
to explain to a developer without the disibility, and without the ability
or access to anyone to evaluate usability of such a version, to encourage
them by placing them in the guidelines would cause more damage to the
idea of accessibility for all, than benefit it would cause.

Jim.