Re: Navigation to Alternate HTML for Screen Readers

From: David Poehlman <poehlman1@home.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 18:09:46 -0400
To: "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Thanks for this jim!
It cannot be stressed too strongly...

quote-There are a number of areas that I see cover it.  If you use
HTML4.01, and
follow the WAI guidelines, there aren't any situations that I can see
where an "aural, braille" alternative page can be warranted, HTML4.01
has
sufficient mechanisms in it to make the page accessible to that
audience.
If that page is not accessible then you've failed to use the technology
properly.

Outside of HTML, alternate representations obviously have their uses,
but
outside of HTML we don't have the LINK object to provide the alternate
representations, and if they were embedded in the page, we can use
standard HTML to present the alternate content.

I believe it should discouraged not only because of the maintenance
issue,
but also simply because it's only used by authors who have categorised
accessibility, i.e. they've made the page content available to screen
readers, when it would've been better if they'd made the content
accessible.

Jim