From: Paul Davis [mailto:paul@ten-20.com]
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 8:08 AM
To: mburks952@worldnet.att.net
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Font sizes

Fine Mike,

I have seen that point a few weeks ago on this list, and it's a valid one.
However we assume as computer literate people this is easy and a simple task
to reset browser settings. The problem we have here in this case is that
older and possibly lower vision users are scared stiff to play with
software, thinking their computer will blow up or just die through abuse.
Not funny (he says smiling) but very true. We all tend to forget that simple
to us is not always simple to others. Some of the people I meet are
seriously impressed with their ability to shut down then start up a computer
without scan disk running.

Newer users I have spoken to are surprised when a drop down box appears
never mind investigating tools and options. I recently chatted with a person
who believed she has been surfing for a year now and was disappointed with
what was there, truth was she had not actually escaped BT's web site. The
look on her face was worth a picture as I added search engines to her
favorites and reset her home page.

I do not think I am being condescending here, but telling it how it is. In
''75 I had a dispute with head office who could not understand why I was
having recruiting problems for domestic staff for the team houses in the
Iranian desert. "Just advertise" they said from a comfortable office in
London. This assumed that local cooks and houseboys could read. Not the
case.

To a certain extent the same principle applies here. We assume a level of
competence that is not always there.

smiles
Paul