RE: Disability Type Analysis of WCAG 1.0

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:23:43 -0700
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
John Penta wrote:

"[We] need to educate developers about the different AGs, and convince them
to use them (never mind convincing
MS and other development tool writers to encourage them as well).

"If that doesn't happen, [how] well we write the standard won't matter."

Reply:

Agreed. And for the IG list, this is a good goal. But for those creating the
guidelines, the need to promote accessibility and educate others is beyond
the scope of the task. There are many groups working to promote
accessibility and the rights of people with disabilities. Others, such as
the Education and Outreach group of the WAI, are working on educational
materials.

The Guidelines (GL) group is tasked to provide guidelines. How well they
write them matters quite a bit. It will do no good at all to convince people
to make their sites accessible if when asked "how?" we can't answer or our
answers make no sense.

We need all of the above if we're to make a real difference.

Sincerely,
Charles F. Munat
Seattle, Washington