Re: Disability Type Analysis of WCAG 1.0

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> On a thread on the WCAG working group mailing list, I raised the issue of
> the state of Texas interpreting WCAG 1.0 as being guidelines for access
> by people with visual disabilities (thread:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2001JulSep/0664.html
> Texas policy: http://www.dir.state.tx.us/standards/S201-12.htm).
>
> The concern is that needs of people with disabilities who are _not_
> blind may be forgotten by those making policies or interpreting the
> WCAG guidelines.

another group that is almost always ignored.

many people with attention def disorders (including some with
Epilepsy) must or should avoid the "Confusion" of a graphics site the
blinking and flashing and poping up and all the "Stuff" on the screen make
it difficult or impossible to use.  a simple B&W text screen is fully
usable but throw in colors and movement etc and the site becomes just a
"confused mess" or even worse could cause an epeleptic or other type of
reaction

> But it also raises an intriguing question -- are the guidelines slanted
> toward championing the needs of certain disability types over other
> types of disabilities?  (Yes, I know some of you believe this already,
> hi Anne.)

sure this is always the case, that which is understood and has a vocal
support group gets the most attention (squeaky wheel syndrome)

> guidelines.  Please note:  THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO START DISABILITY
> VS. DISABILITY FLAMEWARS.  We are all on the same team here, even if we
> represent different types of audiences, so let's not assume any malice
> is at work in the way WCAG 1.0 was written.

no I found it quite interesting
most important is to find a standard or system that will work for most if
not all users.

Bob

   /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign       accessBob                       .-.
   \ /   NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail   accessys@smartnospam.net        /v\
    X    NO MSWord docs in e-mail    Access Systems, engineers      // \\
   / \   NO attachments in e-mail    equal access is a civil right /( _ )\
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privleged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks