Re: other expreassion fo disabled people/ haiku, poems

From: <Demonpenta2@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:59:02 EDT
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
In a message dated 8/23/01 2:45:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
inekemaa@xs4all.nl writes:

> In the Dutch newsbrief "accessibility. nl". I read for the "Disabled People"
> the expression "PEOLPLE WITH LIMITED FUNCTIONS". I think this expression is
> more appropriate in this time of emancipation.
>
> Personally I prefer to speak about "PEOPLE WITH SOME LIMITED FUNCTIONS"  to
> make clear that this people are not limited  in all their functions . Though
> this often is thought as I have heard.  I never found disabled a nice word,
> but I am Dutch.

       It's honest, though. And frankly...speaking as someone who IS
disabled...Why NOT? I personally find the new emphasis on political
correctness ("Physically challenged", "People with Limited Functions", etc.")
pitiful.

       Frankly...This is bitter, but hey. If you normals want to make like
you're so damn caring...Do it with actions. Not with revisionist vocabulary.

John