Re: Accessible Flash

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@contenu.nu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:37:57 -0400
To: Andrew Kirkpatrick <andrew_kirkpatrick@wgbh.org>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
>By no captions in Flash, I assume that you mean there is no
>functionality in the Flash authoring tool explicitly dedicated to
>the development of captions.

Yup. No standard tools and no data structures within the files. And
captions by themselves are insufficient.

>However, Flash can be captioned.

Wellllll, if we're gonna talk examples, let's not forget this one:

>We have also finished captioning another Flash movie, this time
>using MAGpie2, and playing the Flash movie in a Quicktime SMIL file
>with the captions added. The disadvantage here is that you need both
>the Flash player and the QuickTime player.

Flash inside QuickTime. Kooky. Like a stripper inside a birthday cake.

Who said accessibility isn't sexy?
         Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
         Accessibility articles, resources, and critiques: