Re: Is embedded audio helping accessibility?

At 11:03 AM -0500 2001/8/02, Michelle Podd wrote:
>So my question to the list is this:  Is the use of an audio embed (with an
>on/off switch) that reads the content of the web page a help or a hinderance
>to accessibility? Is there an audience for this type of application?

Assuming it's coded sensibly, it's roughly neutral, but tends to be more
of a "help" than a "hindrance".  It's usually true that most users with
special needs have assistive technology, but not always.  There are certain
user groups -- e.g. people who can't read as well -- who could benefit
from what you describe.

The whole trick is in the "coding sensibly" caveat. ;)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison