Re: alt text length

If search engines are a concern with the  site you are working on, I've
read, but unfortunately can't find the citation, that we should keep alto
text to no more than 5-7 words, because longer ones "confuse" some search
engines (some of them do index the alt text).

Also, if they are wider than the size of the image, they don't show up on
the screen when the graphic is loading or if the graphics are turned off in
Netscape 4+, though they do in N3 and IE.

At 10:10 AM 7/30/2001 +1200, you wrote:
>My question is, would this be a situation where it might be 'better' just
>to write the text contained in the image as alt text? Are there any other
>situations where longer alt text can be justified?
>
>Cheers
>Jamie Mackay

Judy Schnitzer, Internet Marketing Consultant
Customized eMarketing to match your needs
Web Site Development, Tune-up, & Promotion
Research, Writing, & Training
818-501-8202
mailto:judy@advanced-emarketing.com