Re: Section 508 - equations?

From: <D.W.Russo@sas.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:34:27 +0200
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

I am not an expert, but I have been researching this issue a bit.

For an overview of ways to make equations accessible, see these guidelines from the CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media:

http://ncam.wgbh.org/cdrom/guideline/6.html

In regard to MathML, today's browsers and accessibility software do not seem to provide significant MathML support. See the thread in this list: "MathML and screen readers"

My general impression is that if your documents contain relatively few, simple equations, you might be able to do something that will give at least some visually-impaired people access to your equations. If you have a large library of documents with complex equations, the challenge is much greater.

Dave