Re: Interactive elements and accessibility

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:42:45 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>   accessibility is concerned. However we do make considerable use of text
>   entry interactions and multiple selection interactions. (Multiple selection
>   is where the user must tick some of many check boxes to get the correct

I would suggest that using select elements is the best way to go as all
the options must be adjacent in the source, making it easier for a tool
to present the whole "picture" to the user.  (Lynx can be configured to
display this like a set of adjacent radio buttons.)

The thing that you probably shouldn't do is to put radio buttons from one
question in successive rows of one column of a table and from another
in the next column.  That makes structure subservient to presentation
and requires a higher level of semantic awareness from the assistive
technology, in order to de-interleave the lists.  I.E. if you use radio
buttons, do all for one question before any other question in the linear
reading order of the source HTML.