Tooltips redux

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:51:41 -0700
To: W3C WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Another option: use JavaScript to create a pop-up box -- a sort of
do-it-yourself tooltip.

I've written such a script to use on some of my sites. It's still a
little buggy, but it seems to work in IE, Mozilla, and even Netscape 4
(though not in Opera, sadly). Last I heard it didn't work on IE 4, but
that can be fixed, I'm sure.

It uses CSS and the DOM for IE 5 and Mozilla/Netscape 6, but tables on
Netscape 4. Best of all, it works both on focus and on mouseover, so you
can tab through the links.

I'll be happy to send a copy of the script to anyone who wants it. Maybe
you'll have time to work out the bugs. It's a bit complicated as it's
currently written though... sorry.

Charles F. Munat
Munat, Inc.
Seattle, Washington