Re: guideline 7.1 about screen flickering

I agree with Kynn that distraction is not inherently evil, but in this case
(adding this ad to a content page) feedback seems to indicate that it does
cause a problem if not switched off, for people with attention disorders.

And yes, it appears that the movement in this is not the same as flicker
which is likely to lead to problems for people with photo-sensitive epilepsy.

This is mostly based on the discussion of this question on the WCAG list -
people can follow that discussion thread in the archives starting at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2001JulSep/0123 or when the
working group comes to a resolution I will make sure that is sent back as a
response in this thread.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 3:37 PM -0400 2001/7/24, Terrie King wrote:
  >Charles,
  >
  >Thanks for your review and discussion of the gif I submitted to the group
  >for comment.  I know that I was certainly distracted (not to mention,
  >annoyed) by the radar-like movement of the gif.  If I was distracted, I
  >can't imagine what some others might be experiencing.

  Distraction is not always bad.  Distraction is merely drawing the
  user's attention to one specific spot or area, by using motion.  Drawing
  the user's attention is _not_ inherently bad, and in many cases it can
  function as an aid to accessibility.

  Be _very_ wary of blanket judgments such as "distraction" (or even
  "annoyance") equating to "inaccessibility."

  --Kynn

  PS:  I don't think this violates the "flickering" checkpoint, either.
        Flickering and motion aren't the same things.