Tooltips in HTML

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:23:12 -0400
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 10:54 PM +0100 2001/7/25, David Woolley wrote:
>  >
>>  does tabbing raise a tooltip?
>
>There is no concept of tooltip in HTML or CSS.  It's Microsoft
>terminology for something that is slightly different from the
>HTML that produces the same visual effect.

I beg to differ about the concept of a "tooltip".  Here a quote from
HTML 4.01 spec:

"Values of the title attribute may be rendered by user agents in a
variety of ways. For instance, visual browsers frequently display the
title as a "tool tip" (a short message that appears when the pointing
device pauses over an object). Audio user agents may speak the title
information in a similar context."

There _is_ a concept of a "tooltip" in HTML -- it's there in the spec
itself!  (This argument is made irrespective of whether or not tooltips
are a good idea.  I'm just refuting the notion of "no concept.")

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison