Re: Popular Accessible Sites Request

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:01:45 -0700
To: Davey Leslie <davey@inx-jp.org>
Cc: Kelly Ford <kelly@kellford.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 05:39 PM 7/14/2001 , Davey Leslie wrote:
>I mean lower-case 'a' accessible--sites that have proven useable, and hence,
>have developed a good reputation among folks using, say, screen-readers. Not
>necessarily upper-case tripple-a Acessible with all the validations and
>banners and such.

Might want to ask on a mailing list for users with specific disability
types.  Asking here will just produce arguments over the definition
of the term "accessibility" :).  It's the difference between theory
and user testing.  We all talk theory here, and are concerned with
details which are rendered transparent to the average non-technical
user with a disability ("i couldn't get it to work" versus "it
violated checkpoint 2.4.7, subpoint b, technique 4").

You'll also need to add to your concept the idea that "accessible"
in the non-theoretical sense always requires a "by WHOM?" addition.

In other words, if you go and ask some guy who can't see, "is this
site accessible?", his answer may be very different than if you
ask someone who can't hear, or with a cognitive disability, etc.

Also, are you looking for things that "just happen to be accessible"
to certain folks, or things which were built that way by design?
For example, Google tends to be fairly accessible, but that's because
it's so simple.  Yahoo could be accessible, if it weren't for the
multitude of extra links on the home page.  Neither of these were
designed by someone saying "I must make an accessible interface";
the accessibility is an outgrowth of the simplicity (usability) of
the site design itself.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>