Re: Javascript is Access Cryptonite.

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 08:47:06 -0700
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 4:35 PM +0100 2001/7/08, David Woolley wrote:
>The easy solution tends to be to
>class any minority browser as an almost ran and produce a token, lowest
>common denominator, solution, and then fail to maintain (cue Kynn on
>dynamic versions from a common source - but I don't think that is a
>solution without a large will to maintain such versions).

You're right about that -- the biggest hurdle we have at Reef selling
our EveryWare product (formerly "Edapta") is that you -do- have to
already have a commitment to delivering multiple versions.  If someone
simply doesn't care -- not about people with disabilities, not about
cell phones, not about PDAs -- then they simply won't buy what we're
selling.

Also, if someone just wants ONE thing -- say, WAP transcoding -- they
will go for "point solutions", a single way to do HTML -> WAP
transformations, instead of a general solution.  This means that the
the "spin-off" benefits (more accessible to people with disabilities
for example) are never available, because the approach we use _does_
require a "large will" to follow it through.

(For example:  You have to be willing to design a lynx-friendly version
for your scripting stuff.  Most web developers these days don't even
use NOSCRIPT, and if they won't make that effort, we can't do a
thing for 'em!)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>