Re: links on white and black background

At 9:25 PM +0100 2001/7/06, Pat Byrne wrote:
>You say the answer is to use style sheets - but how should it work for
>browsers that can't use style sheets? Should I use the font element so that
>the site looks the same on non-stylesheet browsers, or just not do anything
>and  have no colored navigation bars? i.e don't set a background color in
>the table that contains the navigation and just use the default link colors.

It's a hard call -- I try not to tell people what they "should" do on
matters of style, design and preference.  But I can tell you what I chose
to do, in this circumstance.

The HWG web site I referred to before (www.hwg.org) uses CSS extensively
to build a particular look.  However, we still wanted the navigation bars
to LOOK like navigation bars -- and not just floating text without visual
structure -- if CSS isn't available.

So the HWG site uses background colors set in HTML -- but they are set
to a light grey background.  The hope is that it won't interfere too much
with colors since it's neutralesque.  Take a look at the site in Netscape
3 or any browser with the CSS turned off, and you'll see it in action.

That's what we did there.  The Idyll Mountain Internet site generally
uses semi-redundant HTML markup to set a few things, but we don't go
out of our way to try to duplicate everything the CSS does in HTML.

--Kynn

PS:  And, of course, don't even think about looking at the Reef web
      site -- it's not under my control and is actually quite embarrassing!

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison