More on using System Colors for navbar

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 17:27:57 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi everyone,

In my last email I suggested using system colors in CSS as a technique
for accessibility -- this is not a new concept, really, as it's mentioned
in the CSS 2 spec itself:

Style rules that take into account user preferences thus offer the
following advantages:

1.	They produce pages that fit the user's defined look and feel.
2.	They produce pages that may be more accessible as the current
user settings may be related to a disability.

As a test, I took the HTML Writers Guild's web site -- which uses
CSS to create green buttons with white text on a tan background --
and rewrote the CSS to use system colors.

The original is at http://www.hwg.org/ of course -- you can view the
test page at:

So far I've tested this with the following results:

1.  Works in IE 5 for Mac
2.  Works in IE 5 for Windows
3.  Works in Opera 5 for Windows
4.  BREAKS HORRIBLY in Netscape 4 for Mac
5.  BREAKS HORRIBLY in Netscape 4 for Windows

The download of Netscape 6.1 preview release seems to be taking forever
to even start (what is up with that?) so I haven't tested it on that yet.

PS:  Frankly, I think that anyone using Netscape 4 should immediately
      disable CSS -- if possible -- since it causes far more problems than
      it's worth!

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison
Reef North America