Re: Single vs. multiple sites for accessibility

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 08:58:06 -0700
To: "Tom Gregg" <animefusion3@hotmail.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 07:46 AM 7/5/2001 , Tom Gregg wrote:
>Here's my question:
>In trying to meeting accessibility guidelines for multiple users, do most sites use a single site version or create multiple versions of the site?

Most sites create a single version.

However, if you're using Clever Software [*] to run your web site and
manage your content, it may be easy to produce multiple versions
optimized for your users' specific needs.

If you're already yanking content out of a database and dynamically
assembling the thing, then you're already on your way to that kind
of scenario.  If you aren't, then I would state this very clearly:
NEVER TRY TO MAINTAIN TWO OR MORE VERSIONS OF THE SAME CONTENT
MANUALLY.

It makes absolutely no sense to have manually maintained parallel
sites -- because this system will BREAK and be TOO MUCH WORK and you
will have problems.  If you find a need for multiple user interfaces,
then it is time to upgrade your web services (and probably your
content management system) -- the cheapest solution is to get
something like Apache + PHP + PostgreSQL, and start using that to
bang out alternate UIs based on explicit user choice.

If that's not an option for you (and, by the way, it SHOULD be; the
idea of a huge site full of static pages is a VERY dated concept and
living in 1993 is not good for you, long-term), then you should
stick with one version of the site and make it as broadly accessible
as possible for a one-size-fits-all design.

--Kynn

[*] Clever Software:  Without sounding like a walking, talking ad for
     my employer every time I open my fool mouth, Reef is one of the
     companies which makes Clever Software for doing dynamic creation
     and transformation of the web user interface.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison