Re: How accessible is Netscape?

Kynn,

When implementing keyboard features, it is difficult to please everyone.
I have put a FAQ for Mozilla/Netscape's keyboard layout planning at
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ui/accessibility/mozkeyintro.html. As
far as accesskey goes, I haven't yet heard anyone say we're doing
something particularly good *or* bad. Partly, there just aren't a lot of
web pages that use accesskey yet, so most people won't notice the
difference. That said, I believe we act similarly to other browsers when
it comes to accesskey (Alt on Windows and UNIX, Ctrl on Mac). If you
find areas that we can improve, please get involved by starting a
discussion on our mozilla-accessibility discussion list! The newsgroup
equivalent is netscape.public.mozilla.accessibility. This W3C discussion
list is probably not the best forum for Mozilla/Netscape software
development.

I'm surprised you heard a Netscapee denigrate MSAA. It's an incredibly
important API for adaptive technology. Most people at Netscape respect
good technology, wherever it comes from. From a Netscape point of view,
cross platform technology is what to aim for. However, until there is a
cross-platform accessibility API, and until up-to-date screen readers
and other access technology exists for other platforms,MSAA is the only
game in town.

Netscape does have user CSS capability. There are also a number of
appearance preferences, for users with partial vision. I'm not sure what
your other requests amount to - perhaps we can take those offline, or I
can direct you to the appropriate developers. We're a very open project
- it's not difficult for you to put your two cents in either on the
irc.mozilla.org (#mozilla), in one of the news groups, or in the on-line
bug database (bugzilla.mozilla.org). As far as CC/PP, a quick check was
unable to turn up any Mozilla- or Netscape- based efforts, but in
principle I agree that it's a good idea.

The main thing to remember is that Netscape's accessibility efforts are
really just getting momentum now. For the moment, we have to concentrate
on the bread and butter of accessibility - the keyboard interface,
compatibility with 3rd party accessibility software, appearance
preferences and support of standards. There's definitely a lot more that
can be done once the foundation is set. In fact, the more people who get
involved, the closer we can get to the ideal for browser accessibility.

Aaron Leventhal
Netscape Accessibility