Re: hiding accessibility features

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 22:05:19 -0700
To: "Jamie Mackay" <Jamie.Mackay@mch.govt.nz>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 09:50 PM 7/3/2001 , Jamie Mackay wrote:
>I know we've had the discussion about why we should not make things
>disappear by having the same background and foreground colours, but what
>about using CSS {display:none} to 'hide' things like 'skip navigation'
>and 'D' links?
>Is this an acceptable way of adding accessibility features to a page
>without creating ugly distractions for sighted visitors?

It's semi-decent.  The only question is "in which cases will you make
those features re-appear"?  And there's not a good way to determine
that by just relying on the browser to get it right, unfortunately.

It's how I make my CSS "WCAG Single A" graphic transform into the
equivalent text statement when CSS is off, though.  (http://kynn.com/,
bottom of the page)

--Kynn

--