Re: Guideline 10.5 and Table Cells

At 03:34 PM 7/3/2001 , David Woolley wrote:
> > If a series of links are created in separate table
> > cells do they still need to be separated by non-link
> > printable characters?
>Yes.  Because the the table cell boundaries may not be
>presented to the end user.

That sounds like a user agent problem to me.  The links are
clearly separated by markup; it's not my fault that your user
agent isn't presenting the boundaries to you.

The delineation of the links above is completely and utterly
unambiguous in the markup.  If there is a problem with the
presentation of the links then it is the fault of the user agent,
is it not?

<ul>
</ul>

Likewise, the two are clearly separated by markup in the example
above; and yet a (silly) user agent could likewise refuse to
present the "boundaries" of the LI elements.  Surely there is not
a need to introduce printable non-link characters there?

There's certainly a need here, however.

--Kynn

PS:  I'm about 50% playing the devil's advocate here.  I believe
      there are some cases in which you do have to make allowances
      for the fact that certain user agents _don't_ do what they
      should, but I think it's also necessary to identify the root
      cause as defective browsers!

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison