Re: How accessible is Netscape?

At 09:16 PM 7/3/2001 , Aaron Leventhal wrote:
>We have been working on several fronts, especially:
>- Keyboard accessibility - this benefits everyone

How is Netscape planning to implement ACCESSKEY?  I've yet to see
a really -good- way of doing this, in -any- browser. :<

>- MSAA support, so that we can work with screen readers, voice dictation packages and other 3rd party accessibility solutions in Windows

This is good to hear.  I was getting worried (from talking to someone
else at Netscape) that MSAA was considered unimportant since "it's a
Microsoft API."

>- Appearances preferences, such as font size, zooming and colors

Hopefully using user-defined CSS behind the scenes?  (My dream browser
maintains a user.css file with as many settings as possible stored
in CSS, but maintained via a normal 'preferences' interface, thus
making the browser, in effect, a mini CSS editor.  Also necessary is
a way for the user to quickly and easily install and manage multiple
CSS files.  Tell me this is what you have planned and I will be a
happy man.)

Also, if you want to make me EXTRA happy, Aaron, tell me that someone
at Netscape is working on using CC/PP as a way of storing and eventually
transmitting user preferences and settings (in a manner consistent with
the user's privacy settings, of course) to CC/PP-aware browsers.  If
I can hear that from Netscape then all the sins of Netscape 4 will
be forgiven. :)  [And hey if you need someone from outside to come and
preach the wonders of CC/PP...]

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>